Saturday, October 16, 2010

Benoît Mandelbrot Lives


News of Mandelbrot's death at the ripe age of 85 spread like a wildfire through the geek community (which I'm a proud member of) today. In highschool I remember seeing an image of the Mandelbrot Set and since then have been fascinated with it. In college I wrote a computer program to generate the Mandelbrot Set myself and became even more fascinated because of the complexity of the Set that comes from an absurdly simple equation:

z = z^2 + c.

In fact, the broader implications of his (as well as Fibinocci's) discovery has been a key component is how I view the world and try to make sense of it all.

As a sidenote, I also recently learned German and discovered that his name means Mr. Almondbread in English! :)

Anyway, here's a video I found an share with you in honor of Mr. Mandelbrot. I always wanted to make a video like this but never got around to it. Enjoy.



Mandelbrot Fractal Set Trip To e214 HD from teamfresh on Vimeo.

See also: Fibonacci Sequence

No comments: